Thursday, September 8, 2011

A New Day!

Well, as my friend Cobin has instructed me to do, I am FINALLY cleaning of the dust that has sadly gathered on this blog and keeping the flow of info alive! That time I disappeared it was because I just felt so good, I didn't want to go back to chemo and rehash the unpleasant. This time was different. After my second week of chemo they sandwiched a high dose of radiation in. It was a high dose in a shorter amount of time. I would go everyday for fifteen minutes. They, of course go over the side effects with you, but do so in such a sing-song nice voice that you kind of breeze over it. Dry mouth, fatigue, skin irritation, and diarrhea were mentioned with out much alarm or concern and then me moved on.

At the beginning everything was fine, at the end of the first week I was a walking zombie, no check that crap, laying-on-the-couch-directing-orders-zombie. I had all the energy drained out of me. ALL OF IT. I felt horrible. They kept checking my blood and my oxygen carrying red blood cells got so low I almost needed a blood transfusion.

Then just as my count finally started to come up, I was beginning to feel slightly better, avoided the blood transfusion by .4, a whole different set of problems hit. It starts with Dia and ends with rrhea. HOLY COW. They had told me that since the radiation would be going through some of the intestines that might pose me some problems. Did it ever. I have never been that sick! I lost 9 pounds, never felt hungry, was so sore, couldn't keep anything in, was desperately trying to stay hydrated but was slowly failing, was taking Ammodium AD like it was going out of style and ............still ended up in the ER. They filled me up with fluids and sent me home. I did get a cool sign on my door that said this lady is a chemo patient don't go in her room with checking in first. Rock On! I was so sick they had to push my chemo out a week so I could recover...no since throwing chemo in on top of this hot mess, I would never recover. SO, now I feel much better have recovered, and I get to start feeling like crap again probably tomorrow night or Sat. :)

But you know, I continually am looking for the positive. HOW ELSE CAN I GET THROUGH? God is helping me stay positive and notice each thing I can be grateful for through all of this. My supportive hubby has been great, my family is taking turns coming out to VA to help, my friends are my local family and they have been such a help, and I am the topic of many prayers and good vibes. I am lucky that I have the means to afford wonderful treatment, live in this wonderful country and have such a loving support system.

P.S. I am trying to watch funny movies as much as possible so please send in suggestions of your favs!! :)

3 comments:

  1. All of Me and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels are good, especially if you like Steve Martin at all. So sorry you were so sick, it sounded awful! Better luck next round I hope! XOXO JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav is White Chicks and She's the Man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you have to go through all of this but you are one amazing gal....have an amazing family and friends!!

    ReplyDelete